Gaidhlig Cridhe

Friday, January 04, 2008

Went to Ann and Bunt's house today, friends of Keri and her mom (who's practically a Maui resident anymore). When Ann found out we were going to Hana tomorrow, she pulled out a couple of CDs and a tape. One CD was music about Hana, and the other two pieces were guided tours. The guide-CD was the one from Hana Juice Bar in Pai'a; a little kitschy, but it proved invaluable.

Then on to Sugar Beach (Maalea Harbor, north of Kihei) and looked for shells for a couple hours. I found tons of limpets, half a dozen cones, and a bunch of what Keri's mom calls "angel wings" (brown and white, almost scoop-shaped). I came home with at least a cup-full.

Then we went south to the lava fields at La Pereuse. We went farther than we had last time I was here. I still didn't take a picture of the lava that looks like huge clods of dirt (!), but I took one of the lava meeting the water and of the lava in general.

Got back to the hotel around 6 (out of habit I try to note dates and times, but really, does it matter?), got cleaned up, then went to Lahaina for dinner and galleries. Friday night is "art night" in Lahaina. Artists make appearances at various gallaries around town (and there are many), and the majority of places serve pupus (munchies) and wine. We went to The Village Gallery (where Suzi's paintings are; see her pink plumerias at left) first. One artist, Betty Hay Freeland, I really liked. Keri remarked, "Oh, yeah, she's a friend of Suzi's." Of course she is.

Went into Christian Lassen's gallery next and loved all his stuff. Found out he works in acrylics. So smooth, I thought it would have to be oils. He's completely self-taught, apparently. I got a kick out of him putting 1 pt. diamonds into some of his paintings, on the dolphin's eye, for instance. Why?? But a lot of his paintings have sparkle to them, diamonds or no, which I like.

Went to yet another gallery, Higgins---something, that had pieces by Renoir, Monet, Picasso, Anthony Quinn, Sir Anthony Hopkins... Like going to the museum! Another artist, whose name I can't for the life of me remember, had the most wonderful paintings of bears and rabbits and butterflies. Very whimsical and fun.

Next we went to Vladimir Kush's gallery. His stuff isn't quite as bizarre as I find Dali, but he has a very similar style. It was interesting to look at. Some pieces were really lovely, like the boat whose sails were completely made of butterflies. Several paintings were quasi-details of larger pieces.

Tomorrow: Hana!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home