Gaidhlig Cridhe

Sunday, December 30, 2007

I'm in spectacular Maui for New Year's, so rather than send everyone the same email and clog up multiple inboxes with the same pictures, I thought I'd try blogging the trip...so here goes!

Keri and I got in yesterday and are staying at the Makai Inn. That's the courtyard, on the left. It's on Front Street, north of the shops. We pick up the car on Wednesday, so we'll be doing a lot of walking between now and then! The Makai is right on the water (our view from the sea wall, on the right), which was so pretty yesterday, but today has been grey with no whales in sight. Saw one spout and one spout/back on the way in from Kahului, but it's early in the season and I'm nervous we won't see more.

Signed up for a snorking trip (yes, I know it's "snorkeling"; long story!) around Lana'i. Will hopefully see whales there. Definitely dolphins. A little scary as I have a water issue, but I'll do my best to overcome it since it sounds so cool.

Most of today was spent walking all over Lahaina. Went to the Banyan Craft fair where I found the most marvelous blown glass waves, similar to this one but with frosty, sparkling, (broken?) glass at the wave edge to simulate foam. (There's probably a term for that, but I'm definitely not a glass blower so couldn't tell you) The low-end price was $100 (the size pictured here went for $300+), so all those pretty little waves stayed in Maui when I came home. But next time...

We walked to the craft fair out by the Post Office, too, about a mile from the Makai in the opposite direction of the Lahaina shops. Jennifer Cohen-Caires makes the most wonderful soaps and lotions. She's the only one I've found with plumeria that actually smells like the flower. I have friends who will not leave the island without restocking their soap supply. If you're in Maui, see her in person at the craft fair ($1 admission, held on sporradic Sundays; drive by and check) or stop by her stall at Kalama Village in on S. Kihei Road. And if you're not lucky enough to go in person, fear not--she has a website: http://www.nanipacifica.com/.

My poor feet do not like Hawaii. Keri thinks that if I stayed long enough, they'd eventually get used to it, but I don't know. They swell and get heat rash, and bugs seem to love me (apparently I am to Mauian mosquitoes what Bella is to Edward) (if you haven't read "Twilight", that will make no sense to you). I've tried hot soaks, cold soaks, baking soda soaks... Maybe Keri's right and it would just take a few weeks. Maybe I'll have the opportunity to test out her theory one day.

I brought "The Kite Runner" with me and am about 2/3 through it. I keep exclaiming aloud, and Keri glances over with raised eyebrows. She might read it, so I keep my descriptions vague. Suffice to say there were several points where I thought everything that could happen had happened, and then something else--a big something else--happens!

We need to be at the dock at 6:30a tomorrow (yowch), so I'll leave off for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home