Gaidhlig Cridhe

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Wow, what a change to be at the Westin. I'm not a resort-type of person; the 15' waterfall and flamingos in the lobby don't lure me. But the bed... queensize, all white linens and duvet, pillow-top... oh yes, I'll sleep on this bed anytime!

Had lunch at the Hula Grill (Whaler's Village) and got my first Lava Flow since being here four years ago. I don't know why they're not available on the mainland, but no bartender I've asked (and admittedly, that's not a big number) has known what I mean. They're coconut and strawberry with a hint of banana. I'll stop there so I don't drool on the keyboard. I think bars in the Lower 48 are missing a potential piece of the market by not accommodating we of the Hawaiian sweet tooth.

Stopped in Barnes & Noble and found a really cute "Stop and smell the plumerias!" sign. I didn't buy it, but did file it away in my head as something to paint one day. However, I've finished The Kite Runner, so I picked up Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I saw her speak on Oprah a few weeks ago and found her warm and restful. From all the talk I've heard, I'm guessing I'm going to be one of the last in the country to read this one. Looking forward to it.

Walked down to the Hyatt and saw penguins. Why on earth did someone think it was a good idea to put penguins on display in a Hawaii hotel? (So tourists like you will come to the hotel and take their picture, Lisa...) I can't imagine they're comfortable. They were out in the open, not in a cold room or something. (not that being stuck in a room would be that much better, but you know what I mean) They're cute, but they'd be cuter in Antarctica.

Walked back along the beach and found lots of shells. Stayed out there to see the sunset. Then it was back to the hotel for dinner, our one night eating in the hotel itself. Macademia-nut encrusted chicken with a side-sauce to die for, and the cutest little waiter. He really tried to talk us into dessert and wouldn't be put off. With a big smile he said, "You no worry. I bring little ones." He showed up with tiny tiramisus and chocolate mousses. I've seen these at other restaurants, but the delivery made them irresistable.

Up at 5:30 tomorrow for another try at snorking. No rain, please!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home